Wednesday, October 27, 2010

"It’s Not How Much You Make, It’s How Much You Give" ~John Chow


This is the best summation as to the feelings that I had when starting Wrap Up Toledo in 1993.  I was never in the position to make a difference to others via my checkbook, but I knew that I had the capacity to make a difference to others.  This life lesson was taught unknowingly to me by my parents who raised a large family and still found ways to support those less fortunate in our community.  So imagine of how proud I am to have passed the torch without knowing it to my children and their friends. 

From Wrap Up Toledo to Wrap Up America.  I could have never envisioned that my "little philanthropy project in Toledo, Ohio" would turn into a "National Movement!"  So......................."What is your next step forward?"

~Harlan Joelson
Founder of Wrap Up Toledo

1 comment:

  1. "Little by little one walks far."
    Peruvian Proverb.

    I remember shaking a can in front of B.R. Baker's in Toledo OH with my mother to raise funds for the Children's Asthma Research Institute and Hospital of Denver. Pennies, dimes, and nickles (a few dollars) added up to the largest purse the Toledo chapter donate to this meaningful cause.

    Like Harlan, our family gave of themselves whether it was stuffing envelopes or spearheading charity tennis, concerts, or hockey games. With technology we learn of needs every nanosecond. Overheard today, "We cannot buy groceries this week."

    I watched Wrap Up Toledo that brought out volunteers in numbers and answered needs selflessly. The leadership and energy in Wrap Up America is beyond words. When I think of the community care clinics across the country, I wonder the value of providing each patients and his/her family with a blanket of hope.

    I continue Harlan's challenge...."What is your next step forward?" I will donate 100% of any referral for editing I receive through Wrap Up America to this meaningful non-profit movement.

    Evelyn Asher
    Freelance Editor
    evelynasher@charter.net

    ReplyDelete